Pioneer Brick and Tile Company
In 1920, John and Arthur Etzenhouser closed their Pioneer Brick Company plant in Visalia and moved their
operations to Fresno, where a new deposit of clay was located. On September 21, 1920, the Pioneer Brick
and Tile Company was incorporated with a capital stock of $500,000 in shares of $100 each. The first directors
of the company were John Etzenhouser, Arthur Etzenhouser, J.W. Fewell, Daisy S. Fewell, and D.E. Perkins. John
Etzenhouser was president and manager of the brick company until 1922, when P.W. Hastie was elected president
of the company. Arthur Bentley was the plant superintendent.
The brickyard was on the southwest corner of Peach and California avenues in south Fresno next to the line
of the Southern Pacific railroad. They mined the local valley clay on the property to a depth of five feet,
using a Bay City gasoline shovel. The clay was delivered to a Potts disintegrator, from which it was carried
by a belt conveyor to a pug-mill, followed by a Bonnett auger, equiped with a Freese cutter. The bricks were dried
in sheds, requiring from seven to ten days.
Three open kilns were fired with oil, atomized with steam. The kilns had a capacity of 1,060,000 brick each.
The firing period was five to six days, to a maximum temperature of 1,550 to 1,600 degrees F., and cooling
required four to five days. One and one-half barrels of oil were required per thousand brick. The plant
capacity was 40,000 bricks per day. Electric power ran all machinery.
Red common brick were manufactured and shipped locally. The plant closed in 1928 and has since been dismantled.
The brick is red-brown to red with smooth sides. Some sides display minor crazing and faint stack depressions.
The crazing parallel the longer direction of the brick. The top and bottom faces display velour texture from
the cutter at a steep angle to the edges. Edges and corners may be broken or chipped. One piece of red brick
displays repressed edge lines. Fine shiny mica flakes can be seen on the sides of the brick. Broken faces
display a sandy clay body with abundant white and iron-stain quartz grains. Extruded, stiff-mud process.
Length unknown, width 4, height 2 3/8 inches.
Side view of the Pioneer brick showing the smooth face.
One of the faces of the Pioneer brick showing velour texture.
Side view of the Pioneer brick showing repress marks on edges.
Brick and Clay Record, v. 57, no. 7, 1920 p. 593.
Copyright © 2004 Dan Mosier
Dietrich, Waldemar F. The Clay Resources and the Ceramic Industry of California. California
State Mining Bureau Bulletin 99, 1928, p. 78.
Laizure, C.M. Fresno County. California State Mining Bureau 25th Report of the State Mineralogist.
Chapter 3, Mining In California, p. 301-336.