Home Page | Brickmakers
Parker Brick Company
In 1916, John Young Parker purchased the defunct brick plant of the Grant Brick and
Tile Company, on Ladera Street at the west end of Monticeto Street in Santa Barbara. Parker was born in
Ohio on February 2, 1883, and entered the trade of brickmaking. He became a prominent brickmaker
along the California coast. Parker refitted the old Grant plant with modern equipment for making
face brick and hollow tile. The plant opened in the spring of 1916. Parker also formed the
Contractors' Supply Company, which operated on the corner of Monticeto and Salispudes streets in
Santa Barbara, a wholesale building material supply center to sell his clay products in addition
to lime, cement, plaster, sand and gravel. In 1917, the Parker Brick Company was incorporated
and took over the management of these operations. The company office was in the Central Building in
A yellowish, sandy clay was mined by a tractor and scraper from an open cut on a hill west of
the plant. This clay was mixed with black adobe from a pit across the road. The clay was mixed
in a pug mill and then transferred to the press using the wet process to make red bricks, hollow
tile and drain tile. The products were dried in open sheds and then fired in oil-fired field kilns.
The plant had a capacity of 25,000 brick per day in 1918, but this later was increased. By 1926, the
stiff-mud process was used to make wire-cut bricks. These were end-cut bricks as can be seen in bricks
the community center and the Wilson School. The yard employed 12 to 15 workers.
From 1916 to 1927, the Parker Brick Company was the major brick supplier in Santa Barbara. By 1925,
they had purchased the Coleman Brick Company and the Toro Canyon Brick and Tile Company, and were
operating three plants in the Santa Barbara area. Parker bricks and tiles were used in many prominent
buildings in the city, including the Santa Barbara County National Bank, the San Marcos office
building, St. Francis Hospital, Cottage Hospital, Lincoln School, Wilson School, and many
The disasterous earthquake in June 1925 did not hurt the brick business, but the depression in
the 1930s did. In 1928, the Parker and the Toro Canyon plants were leased to the Associated Clay
Products Company for a few years. The leasees were Bob Muegenburg, roofing contractor, and Elmer H.
Whittaker, rancher. The Toro Canyon plant closed permanently in 1932. In 1936, John Parker reopened the
Parker brick plant and it was the only brick manufacturer in Santa Barbara until 1941, when it was
permanently closed. Afterwards, Parker worked as a building contractor until his death on June 18,
1949. He left a widow Mrs. Myna Parker. Homes and apartments now cover the site of the Parker brick
plant, though there is still evidence of the cut on the hill where clay was once mined.
Parker Norman Brick
Side view of the Parker norman brick in the former Wilson School (now Westside Community Center), Santa Barbara.
Norman brick is purplish red, mostly uniform in color. Visible subangular to subrounded clasts are about
25 percent white quartz and feldspar, red clay, and black iron spots, up to 1/4 inch across. The faces are
smooth with longitudinal grooves. The sides display a velour texture normal to the long edge. The ends
display angled wire-cut grooves. Edges are straight and jagged. Corners are sharp when not broken. Extruded,
wire-cut, stiff-mud process. Length 11 3/8, width 3 1/8, height 2.
Parker Wire-Cut Brick
Side view of the Parker wire-cut brick in the Santa Barbara Civic Recreation Center Auditorium, 1926.
The wire-cut brick is dark red, mostly uniform in color, with subangular red clay up to 1/4 inch across. The faces are
smooth with longitudinal grooves. The sides display a strong velour texture normal to the long edge and a few
longitudinal grooves. The ends display transverse wire-cut grooves on a slightly velour to smooth surface, which
is fairly pitted. Edges are straight and jagged. Corners are often dull or broken. Extruded, wire-cut, stiff-mud
process. This brick was made in 1926 for the Civic Auditorium. Length 8 1/2, width 4, height 2 1/2.
Brick and Clay Record, v. 48, no. 7, 1916, p. 657.
Copyright © 2007 Dan Mosier
Brick and Clay Record, v. 48, no. 8, 1916, p. 759.
Brick and Clay Record, v. 48, no. 9, 1916, p. 854.
Brick and Clay Record, v. 50, no. 4, 1917, p. 362.
Brick and Clay Record, v. 52, no. 3, 1917, p. 241.
Brick and Clay Record, v. 52, no. 13, 1918, p. 1161.
Brick and Clay Record, v. 56, no. 13, 1920, p. 1216.
Brick and Clay Record, v. 60, no. 13, 1922, p. 1012.
Brick and Clay Record, v. 66, no. 9, 1925, p. 679.
Brick and Clay Record, v. 67, no. 6, 1925, p. 428.
Dietrich, Waldemar F. The Clay Resources and the Ceramic Industry of California.
California State Mining Bureau Bulletin 99, 1928, p. 81-82.
San Barbara City Directories, 1917-1941.
Tucker, W. Burling. Santa Barbara County. California State Mining Bureau Report 21, no. 4, p. 547.
Home Page | Brickmakers
Comments or questions are welcomed.
Please send email to Dan Mosier at firstname.lastname@example.org.