Major plant expansion occurred from 1897 to 1904. In 1904, the company changed its name to the Los Angeles Stoneware
and Sewer Pipe Company. Sewer pipe was the main product manufactured at the new plant. Firebrick was third in the
order of production. By 1905, the plant was 96 x 300 feet with two wings, one 150 x 125 feet and the other 32 x 120 feet.
There was also a large storage warehouse, office, engine house, large oil tanks, and clay house. There were 7 down-draft kilns,
three of which were 30 feet in diameter, one 25 feet in diameter, and two 20 feet in diameter. The plant contained two
dry pans for grinding the clay, two wet pans for tempering clay for sewer pipe, two sewer pipe presses, one chaser mill for
tempering the clay for stoneware, complete clay washing outfit, and a complete firebrick department. The firebrick
department consisted of a pug-mill, Giant auger machine, automatic 12-brick cutter, Eagle double repress, brick cars,
track, and steam dryers, heated by exhaust from the kilns. The plant was powered by three 100 h.p. boilers, later replaced
by a 250 h.p. boiler, and a 100 h.p. Boss Corliss engine later upgraded to a 200 h.p. engine. The plant employed 50 to 60
workers. The company also issued an illustrated catalogue of its products.
Firebricks manufactured at this plant is the focus of this article. They were made in all standard shapes and special shapes were made to order on short notice. The company tried to keep on hand a large stock of firebrick at all times to fill orders promptly. Every firebrick was stamped with the company's initials "L.A.S.&S.P.Co." Firebrick were shipped by two railroads, Santa Fe and Union Pacific, which had sidings for the plant. Clays were shipped to the plant from Elsinore in Riverside County. The products were shipped throughout Southern California and as far away as Arizona and Nevada.
By 1906, Douglass had taken over the company through stock acquisitions and he decided to reorganize it under a new company which he called the Douglass Clay Product Company. For the continuation of this plant's history, see Douglass Clay Product Company.
Firebrick is a salmon color with smooth surfaces. The faces display pits and wire-cut grooves at a slight angle in the
longitudinal direction. The marked face contains a shallow beveled rectangular frog that is 7 1/8 inches long and 1 1/4
inches wide. The company abbreviations L.A.S.&S.P.Co. are in recessed block letters that span 6 3/4, stand 1 inch in height, and the
lower case "o" is 1/2 inch in height. The periods are square shaped. This brick was made using the stiff-mud process and repressed.
Length 8 3/4, width 4 3/8, height 2 1/2 inches.
Aubrey, Lewis E., The Structural and Industrial Materials of California,
California State Mining Bureau Bulletin 38, 1906, p. 214-216.
Brick, v. 7, no. 1, 1897, p. 8.
Brick, v. 7, no. 3, 1897, p. 120.
Brick, v. 7, no. 6, 1897, p. 237.
Brick and Clay Record, v. 17, no. 4, 1902, p. 164.
Brick and Clay Record, v. 17, no. 5, 1902, p. 170.
Brick and Clay Record, v. 20, no. 3, 1904, p. 198.
Clay-Worker, v. 41, no. 2, 1904, p. 288.
Gass, Bernie, written communications and photographs, 2010.
Incorporations, Sacramento Daily Union, September 5, 1891.
Los Angeles City Directory, 1892.
Los Angeles City Directory, 1893.
Los Angeles City Directory, 1896.
Los Angeles City Directory, 1897.
Los Angeles City Directory, 1906.
Los Angeles Herald, September 2, 1891.
Los Angeles Herald, May 15, 1897.
Los Angeles Stoneware and Sewer Pipe Company, Los Angeles Herald, September 3, 1905.
Merrill, F.J.H., Los Angeles County, Orange County, Riverside County, California State Mining Bureau 15th Report of the State Mineralogist, part 4, 1916, p. 461-589.
Real Estate Transfers, Los Angeles Herald, December 30, 1891.
Contact Dan Mosier at email@example.com.