Grant Brick & Tile Company
In 1904, Peter T. Grant and Donald C. Grant opened a brickyard on Rancheria (later Ladera) Street
between Gutierrez and Montecito streets, Santa Barbara. They were first known as the Grant Brothers.
Peter was born in 1879 in Canada, and Donald in 1882 in California. At the west end of Monticeto
Street, they found a yellow clay deposit which was favorable for manufacturing common brick and
red tile. There is no description of this early operation, but it appears from the character
of the brick that the clay was hand-molded and fired in open field kilns.
In 1913, the Grant Brothers reorganized under the name of Grant Brick & Tile Company, with
Peter Grant as manager and Donald Grant, brickmaker. During the time this company operated, 1904-1916,
it was the only producer of common brick and red tile in Santa Barbara. The Grant Brick Company
closed in 1916. The brothers entered the contractor business until 1923, when they opened the
Toro Canyon Brick Company in Montecito. Peter died in Santa Barbara in 1955 at the age of 75 years.
Donald died in Santa Barbara in 1964 at the age of 82 years. The Grant brick plant was reopened
in 1917 by the Parker Brick Company.
View of the front entrance of the Edgerly Arm Hotel, 105 Sola St.,
Santa Barbara, which was built of Grant common brick in 1913.
Common brick is orange red to red to pale red, variable in color. The sides and ends are lightly coated
with fine sand and display light red with black rimmed flash patterns. Deep stack indentations are
commonly visible on the sides along with minor transverse grooves. Visible clasts are subrounded red
pebbles and subangular white feldspar up to 1/4 inch across. Minor pits up to 1/4 inch across may be
seen on the surface. Edges are undulating and corners are rounded. Top and bottom faces show minor
pitted surface with an irregular lip around the top edge up to 1/4 inch thick. This brick was made using
the sand-molded, soft-mud process.
Length 7 3/4 - 8 1/4, width 3 5/8 - 3 7/8, height 2 1/4 inches.
View of the Grant brick in the wall of the Edgerly Arm Hotel, Santa Barbara.
View of the face of a Grant brick at the Edgerly Arm Hotel, Santa Barbara.
Bradley, Walter W., Huguenin, Emile, Logan, C.A., and Waring, Clarence A., The Counties of Monterey, San Benito,
San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, California State Mining Bureau 15th Report of the State Mineralogist, Part 5,
1919, p. 590-769 (735).
Copyright © 2006 Dan Mosier
Santa Barbara City Directories, 1904-1923.