It is known that some of Clark's bricks went into five single-story brick buildings on the
Morgan Block, on the southeast corner of E and Second streets in downtown Eureka. Owner Alonzo
Morgan hired Clark to construct the brick buildings in 1875. The Morgan Block opened for
business in May 1876. Some of Clark's brick can be seen in a couple of the original buildings standing
on this block, although they have been painted. The building at 2112 Second Street displays Clark's
brick on the south exterior wall. Exposed Clark bricks can be seen on the north interior wall of
this building. The Janssen Building at 422 First Street is believed to be another example of
Clark's bricks built in 1875. The bricks on the front facade are painted, but the western exterior
wall displays exposed bricks. The Janssen Building provides the description below for Clark's bricks.
It appears that Clark must have operated his brickyard briefly during the mid-1870s. He was not listed in the 1880 Census Records for Eureka, so he may have left town by that time. No additional information was found on Amos Clark. John E. Hill had started up his brickyard on the Eureka Slough in Eureka at about the same time, so some of the bricks in the structures built since 1875 may have come from Hill's brickyard. A distinguishing feature in differentiating the bricks made by Clark and Hill is the presence of clam shells in Hill's bricks and their absence in Clark's brick. Clark's bricks are also slightly smaller and thinner than Hill's bricks.
Common bricks range in color from light orange to dark red and some are mottled in light to dark shades.
The surface is coated with quartz sand. The form is poor with irregular dull edges and dull corners.
There are large gouges and pits, as much as 1 inch in diameter, on the surface. An irregular lip up to 1/4 inch
in thickness occurs around the tops of some bricks. Patches of excess clay are attached to some surfaces.
Some bricks are cracked. Longitudinal stack indentation, leaving a longitudinal ridge across the center, was
seen on the sides of some bricks. Some bricks are burnt to black. The bottom face is flat and smooth.
The top face was not observed. The interior appears to lack clasts, although, so few were seen. In
the lighter colored bricks that are under-fired, the exposed interior clay has turned to loose powder.
The interior is composed of orange to orange-red porous fine sandy clay, some of which appears to have
laminations. This brick was made using the soft-mud process. A range of sizes is noted, some bricks were
noticeably thinner than others. Length 7 3/4 - 8, width 3 3/4 - 4, height 1 3/4 - 2 3/8 inches.
Baldivia, Stefani, Research Assistant, Humboldt County Historical Society, personal communications, 2014.
Eureka Heritage Society, Eureka, An Architectural View, Eureka, California, reprint, 1994.
Federal Census Records, 1870.
Federal Census Records, 1880.
From Burning Board to Bricks, Alonzo Monroe's 'Phoenix,' Humboldt Historian, September-October 1991, p. 14-16.
Humboldt County Historical Society Museum, Eureka, California, 2014.
Contact Dan Mosier at email@example.com.