Brand Name: C H
Operating Years: 1870s
Years Brick Made: 1870s
Type: Red common duty
Description: Two letters are impressed on a face with varying space between the letters. Examples are known with one
of the letters absent. The first brick was made by George D. Nagle of San Francisco,
the second was made by Merrill and Black at Pleasanton (donated by Gary Drummond), the third was made by the Patent Brick Company
located north of San Rafael (donated by Stuart Guedon), the fourth was made by Theodore Petersen of San Jose (donated by
Jason Parker), the fifth was made by Remillard at their San Venetian yard, San Rafael (donated by Stuart Guedon).
Comments: Bricks were made specially for the San Francisco City Hall, San Francisco, CA. Numerous brick manufacturers
from San Francisco, San Rafael, San Jose, and Sacramento provided the bricks and stamped the bricks with CH, which
stands for City Hall. This is unusual because most bricks are usually stamped with the maker's name, not its destination.
However, the variations in these bricks demonstrate that they are not from a single maker when comparing them side
by side. Local brick manufacturers who supplied the City Hall with brick as gathered from the
records of San Francisco included G. Oliva, P.N. Carroll, D.S. McDonald, Clauss Witt, Theodore W. Peterson,
G.D. Nagle, Thomas D. Tobin, Merrill & Black, Remillard Bros., Patent Brick Co., Diamond Brick Co.,
Hunter & Shackleford, E. Wilson & Co., William Sharon, J.S. Bellrude, Eli Bonnet, Philip Caduc, Michael J. Kelly,
Thomas Boyle, and John Tuttle. Note that none of the maker's initials match C.H., which verifies the 1884 report written
by State Geologist Henry Hanks, who wrote:
"The initials C.H. impressed in the brick of which our new City Hall is built, put there to denote that they were
intended for that edifice, may (should they prove to possess the lasting properties claimed for them) become to
the antiquary of the remote future a source of much worriment as he labors to decipher their probable meaning."
Source: Museum of the City of San Francisco, Cannery Shopping center, San Francisco; San Francisco Municipal
Reports, 1871-1881; Hanks, 4th Report of the State Mineralogist, 1884, p. 144.
Contact Dan Mosier at email@example.com.
Copyright © 2015 Dan L. Mosier