Antioch Pottery Company
Mt. Diablo Sewer Pipe & Paving Brick Company
California Brick and Clay Works
In 1868, Isaac Nicholson, a potter from England, purchased the McMaster and Barker brick plant
and converted it to manufacturing mainly chimney and sewer pipes, terra cotta, and stove linings.
Hand-molded common brick were also made. The pottery was known as the Albion Pottery. Six to eight men
were employed in the pottery. Clay was obtained from the local clay pit and from the Brentwood coal mine.
The plant building was single story, 150 feet long and 100 feet wide. Common bricks from this plant
were used in the nearby Roswell Hard residence in 1869, and probably in the Casino Hotel, a couple
of blocks east. The historic Hard house is fenced so a detailed description of this brick could
not be obtained. The Casino Hotel was rebuilt in 1885 and is probably a mixture of the 1850s McMaster
brick and 1885 Albion brick. But because the bricks were painted, it was not possible to distinguish
the two bricks. There are probably other examples of the Albion bricks in Antioch yet to be identified.
The Albion Pottery closed in 1886.
Shortly afterwards, the Antioch Pottery Company was formed to operate the pottery, mainly for the
manufacture of sewer pipe. This operation became known as the Antioch Pottery. There is no record of
brick production from this operation. In 1896, the pottery's name was changed to the Mt. Diablo Sewer
Pipe and Paving Brick Company. E.T. Maples was the plant superintendent. Clay was obtained from the
foothills to the south and from its pit west of the pottery. The pottery
was able to supply 12-inch, 8-inch, and 6-inch clay pipes, as well as roof tile, fire-proofing, and
flower pots. Paving bricks were not made, because the pottery closed in 1897, before the company
could secure the brickmaking machinery.
The California Brick & Clay Manufacturing Company reopened the pottery during the 1900s to manufacture
brick and other clay products. The works became known also as the California Pottery. In 1911, the Standard
Sewer Pipe & Terra Cotta Company took a four-month option on the pottery and made repairs and
additions. This company had a capital stock of $1,000,000 and was based in San Francisco. The officers
of the company were W.F. Barnes, H.C. Norton, E.C. Leffingwell, William Sea, Jr., and J.A. Bloch.
Probably a small quantity of brick was made here between 1911 and 1913, before the company foreclosed.
In 1913, the property was taken over by the Bank of Antioch.
Post card view of the California Brick & Clay Manufacturing Company's works, Antioch.
Finally, in 1917, Louis Steiger, M.M. Miner, and M.E. Empena, took an option on the pottery and ran
some product tests. Steiger and Miner were from the Steiger Pottery of South San Francisco, which had been
destroyed by fire and so they were looking for a new manufacturing plant. Steiger opted for the Vallejo
plant and dropped the Antioch plant. The old Antioch pottery was eventually sold and dismantled. Today
an adult school stands on part of the property.
Common brick is orange red to pale red, mostly uniform in color. The sides are sand struck and
uneven with an irregular lip around the top edges. Top and bottom faces could not be observed for a
description. Sand-molded, soft-mud process. No dimensions available.
The Roswell Hard Residence, Antioch, was built in 1869 using Albion common brick.
View of Albion common brick in the walls of the Hard Residence, Antioch.
Brick and Clay Record, v. 39, no. 5, 1911, p. 191.
Copyright © 2007 Dan Mosier
Brick and Clay Record, v. 39, no. 4, 1911, p. 155.
Brick and Clay Record, v. 38, no. 2, 1911.
Brick and Clay Record, v. 39, no. 4, 1911, p. 154.
Brick and Clay Record, v. 43, no. 8, 1913, p. 823.
Brick and Clay Record, v. 50, no. 10, 1917, p. 977.
Brick and Clay Record, v. 51, no. 2, 1917, p. 156.
Brick and Clay Record, v. 52, no. 4, 1917, p. 340.
Clay Record, v. 9, no. 1, July 14, 1896, p. 23.
Clay Record, v. 9, no. 2, July 28, 1896, p. 19.
Crawford, J.J., Structural Materials, California State Mining Bureau 13th Report of the State
Mineralogist, 1896, p. 612-641.
Slocum, W.A., History of Contra Costa County, W.A. Slocum & Co., San Francisco, 1882.